What matters most?

Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:55:08 +0200

Hi David

I think I see where you are going with this, and I again agree. However it seems
apparent the main thrust of the thread is going off in two directions. The first
is along the lines of  most of what you say below... ie different component
ratio combinations yeilding same overall ratio feeling differently. I aggree
that this seems unlikely. On the other hand we are asking whether or not two
such differing combinations that yeild the same total action inertia will feel
the same. This is not the same question as I think you will agree. And I am not
really sure that its a valid one to begin with. We'd first have to calculate
total action inertia for both cases to see if its really possible to have equal
total inertia for significantly different ways of achieving the same overall
static ratio.

Mark and Bill seem to think (if I read them correctly) that X units of total
inertia will feel the same reagardless of the individual component amounts. I
see the reasoning... as it all is << sensed >> as it were at the front of the
key by a single finger. But I wonder... intuitively this idea is uncomfortable
to me... and thats assuming its possible to achieve the condition in the first
place.  You touch on some of the reasons why I feel that way...when you say "my
hypothesis would be that at a
certain level of acceleration the various levers will handle inertia in
different ways". And Bill mentioned the possible configuration that would tend
toward fly away hammers.

I suppose I could buy Mark and Bills reasoning better if the coupling between
the levers was not free as it is.... still even then.. In anycase.. More to
think about

Cheers
RicB

--