Blasius

Harry Pickett hjpickett@cablenet-va.com
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:46:06 -0400

Terry,
I'd certainly be interested in doing it for my own education and to
increase the patience threshold!
Let me know
Harry

Harry Pickett
1800 Fairview Church Road
Riner, VA 24149
TEL: 540-382-0191

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 9:31 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Blasius

Hi Clyde. I own an 1893 Blasius & Sons upright (sitting in my garage
looking for a home/rebuild). Clearly it was a VERY well built piano 110
years ago. I was planning on doing a remanufacture on it, but as I also
own two Mason & Hamlin and two Steinway old uprights, it only makes
sense to do the ones that are more likely to command a higher resale
price (only because of name recognition).

I look at the piano thing just like I would a Mercedes or Rolls Royce.
You've got a 50 year old originally high quality car. It's got 900,000
miles on it and is worn out, top to bottom, inside and out. You need a
car to get to work and to the grocery store. Even if this thing will
run, it can't be trusted because hoses will leak, things will break,
etc. You could spend $50,000 (or more?) and make a new car out of it and
have a great car. Or you could just go a buy another new or less-used
car. Which would you rather do?

Same thing with the piano. Sure you could make a VERY nice piano out of
that Blasius. And to some folks, it would be worth it. But to many
others it would not.

IMHO, it would be a very nice thing to see these fine old pianos stored
until there becomes a market for remanufacturing these old beasts. I
think it is a crime to toss these things into the landfill, but I also
realize most folks are not ready to sink $10K+ into an old upright.

Anyone looking for a free Blasius & Sons upright?

I use the word "condemn" on this list, and I "condemn" at least one
piano a month. Just "condemned" an old no-name upright last week (they
had a child taking lessons - no way to make a worn out old upright play
good enough for that for a few hundred bucks). I don't use that word
when talking to a piano owner. For old worn-out disfunctioning pianos I
recommend several options to folks: go all the way and completely
rebuild/remanufacture it (to whatever standard might be appropriate for
the piano - a square grand might have a different standard than a nice
Mason & Hamlin); put a couple hundred bucks into it to make it function
(if marginal/whatever functionality will meet their needs); accept it as
it is; or junk/sell it (so that I can collect my minimum service fee
again).

Terry Farrell