DC in action cavity

Ruth Phillips webb50@comcast.net
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:11:39 -0400

David Love wrote:

> It's unfortunate that there isn't more research
on regulating humidity within the action cavity itself. =20

Hi folks,
I've been following this discussion and decided to chime in.

It's my believe that where pinblock failures have been attributed to =
this heat, moisture problems over many years caused both action =
problems, and pinblock delamination with hide glue blocks.  Probably =
tuners used uncontrolled heat to make a dent in a frozen action, and =
that worked against a weak, delaminating pinblock.  Negative responses =
to that situation are understandable.  But David has raised several good =
arguments, and I agree with his conclusions, and go a little further.

We have installed many DC rods in grand actions.  It is not an everyday =
part of our installations, but it has a definite place in the arsenal =
when you're looking for effective and safe humidity control.  This is =
the key:  it absolutely MUST have its own control, and it must be placed =
where it will get good feedback.  We install the humidistat next to the =
#1 bass string, on the rim, with the sensors down.  This is above the =
action cavity, so as the heat rises it will be read and turn the rod =
off.  We have always used the 8 watt bar for this purpose. =20

The area where we work has every humidity situation you can imagine.  =
Most homes experience wide seasonal swings due to our sea level and =
proximity to lots of water, followed by cold winters and central =
heating.  Individual homes may have pianos next to large radiators, =
simulating the desert environment.  Others are on heavily wooded lots =
and never dry out, simulating the tropics.  Our clientele have =
everything from spinets to concert grands.  So over the years, I doubt =
there is a situation we haven't had to address. =20

It is understandable that Dampp-Chaser takes the position it does.  =
People will hear that it's okay to use a rod in the action, and go back =
to 25 watts plugged in to the wall outlet.  Don't Do That!  It's a =
small, enclosed area, and it doesn't take much to do the job. =20

If the action screws get loose from this, it's because the wood was =
swollen, and you've brought it back down.  Tighten them once and they'll =
stay put.  It's like expecting a pitch drop after an installation, if =
the soundboard was swollen.  If the regulation changes, let it, then =
regulate, and it will be stable. =20

Incidentally, if you run across the old brown humidistats, they are good =
for this use as you only need the dehumidifier side plug.

An 8w rod is not going to undo years of neglect, as it is preventive in =
strength.  As soon as I see any warning signs, I go for that =
rod/control.  It is a "booster shot" for extreme situations where the =
humidity is very high and performance requirements equally high.

I addressed this subject in a Journal article many years ago, probably =
at least 10.  By then, we had long been using multiple rods in most =
every installation.  A 36-15 or 36-25 under the keybed is a standard =
part of our grand installations and has been for decades.  That one can =
safely be connected to the control under the soundboard.

I also recommend and sell the string covers made by Judi Edwards.  They =
will add greatly to the stability of an installation.

A good policy is to always tie the wattage to the situation.  Eight =
watts is so gentle that it will not blast the humidistat and be shut off =
immediately.  Too much wattage in that area will overdo the heat, then =
shut off and take a long time to come back on.  The best way for all of =
this is to get even and consistent cycling.
This requires good feedback to the control, and the correct wattage.

Negative comments on this subject are very understandable given the =
misuse of the rods over the years.  But I think that, with where =
Dampp-Chaser has gone, and the general acceptance the subject finally =
has, this is a timely discussion. =20

When I started working with Webb about 25 years ago, he was already =
doing all these things, so I was no innovator, but I did imitate a good =
thing and have not had a single problem with these action dehumidifiers =
in all that time. =20

Happy Labor Day - take the weekend off!  Ruth Phillips