DampChaser & Grand Action

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:54:22 -0700

If I said to every owner of an expensive piano,
"Heh, if you can afford this you can afford to install a humidification
system for your entire house",

David,
I agree that an "entire house" system is prohibitive. If you had read
carefully, you would have seen that I was talking a ROOM system. Now, if the
house is one of those "open" type, then you're screwed and will have to deal
with either the piano system or the whole house. In San Fransico, where you
are, the humidity shouldn't be too much more than it is here in Oregon, on
the Coast. I had one client, who loved to throw all the doors open, lived on
a bluff, directly over the beach! 7' Kawai. A two bar system with bottom
cover and string cover AND the client always keeping the piano closed when
not using it, took care of the corrosion, wild pitch deviations and sluggish
action situation, completely.
>From experience, every time I have run into a DC bar, installed IN the
action cavity, under the pinblock, the tuning pins were marginal to loose.
The idea of installing a bar under the key bed, I think, is a valid one.
Whether it takes care of ALL of the sluggishness is immaterial. If it
provides for a more stable situation in relation to the key
bed/cavity/action, then repinning would make good sense and would, IMHO,
provide for some stability and playability, in the long run.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I