Steinway Hammers/Hot Pressed Thread

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:48:22 -0700

To All,
A while back, there was a thread about the virtues of various hammers, i.e.
hot pressed, Cold pressed, etc. I posed the question to Eric Schandall and
he was most gratious to give me permission to post a blurb on how their
hammers are made, etc. Eric, hopes that this will not lead to a big brohaha,
etc., and wishes to extend the offer of further information, by contacting
Steinway Service Department. Well, here it is:

"There are three presses involved:  two pre-bending presses that are at
about 180 degrees F, one for the underfelt and one for the outer felt.  The
final press is also at about 180 degrees F.  I do not know at what
temperatures other manufacturers are pressing their hammers.  The heat in
the final press activates the glue, a urea formaldehyde two-part type.  When
one talks about cold- and hot-pressed hammers I do not know what specific
temperatures are being referred to, as it is likely relatively hot or cold.

One of the differences between our hammers and others in the field is the
density of the felt sheet from which the hammers are made.  As the sheet
from which our hammers are made is less dense, thus allowing lacquer to
penetrate, our approach relies on lacquer to stiffen the felt to the right
resilience.  Another approach to making hammers would be to rely on denser
felt from the original sheet, leaving the hammers over-stiffened as they
come from the press, then to rely on needling to regain the correct
resilience.  An example of this hammer would be found in our Hamburg
production. It is common practice to use a 5% lacquer to 95% thinner
solution to stiffen the bass and treble where needed in this type hammer.
Heat or no heat in production is only part of the equation and only one
factor among a great many.

Steinway & Sons
Eric Schandall
Administrator, Technical Training and Education"

I hope that this will clarify how Steinway makes their hammers and how much
heat they use, etc.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I

P.S.
A big "thank you" to Eric, from me and hopefully a few of you. <G>