Titebond extend gluing times.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:00:14 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/2003 2:51:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I was thinking that I should be using Titebond Extend. Or liquid (cold)
> hide glue. What are thoughts on the good ol' hide glue - it has lots of working
> time - ribs and panels are not for underwater work, are they?
>
> Terry Farrell

 I know there are variety of opinions on this but if you get  fresh cold hide
thats not out of date it is a very strong glue. Its working time is quite
long and when it is set and cured which granted does take some time (which is why
your using it) it is narly stuff to get apart.
      It is also reversible for the next guy who has to get the board out of
the piano or Maybe you. Can you imagine having to clean a rim joint that was
coated with tight bond, bulduc or some other kind of glue? What a headache.
Its obvious that modern wood glues have strength that cold or hot hide doesn,t
but it always amazes me how solidly our antiquated pianos have hung ( and some
not)together with animal colagen compound. Imagine how much more difficult it
would be to remove key bushings,guide rail bushings, key buttons,hammershanks,
soundboards,pinblocks etc for repairs if the glue wasn't as reversible and
workable as hide glue. Just a thought in that direction.
       Dale Erwin