Knabe Grand/Plugs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 01:22:10 -0500

Although I don't know for sure how long the method I have used will =
last, I do know there are many types of epoxy out there and many of them =
will not necessarily make a strong bond to wood. At =
http://westsystem.com, in the user manual is the process I follow. Also =
in the user manual are all sorts of recommendations for surface prep of =
various woods, methods and guidelines for mixing epoxy and fillers, etc. =
I believe it is imperative that these recommended procedures be followed =
for successful results. An excerpt from the WestSystem web site manual =
follows:
=20
Two-step bonding
=20
1. Wet-out bonding surfaces-Apply a neat resin/hardener mixture (without =
fillers) to the surfaces to be joined (Figure 9). Wet out small or tight =
areas with a disposable brush. Wet out larger areas with a foam roller =
or by spreading the resin/hardener mixture evenly over the surface with =
a plastic spreader. You may proceed with step two immediately or any =
time before the wet-out coat reaches the final cure stage.
    =20
2. Apply thickened epoxy to one bonding surface. Modify the =
resin/hardener mixture by stirring in the appropriate filler until it =
becomes thick enough to bridge any gaps between the mating surfaces and =
to prevent "resin-starved" joints. Apply enough of the mixture to one of =
the surfaces, so that a small amount will squeeze out when the surfaces =
are joined together with a force equivalent to a firm hand grip (Figure =
10).
=20
Thickened epoxy can be applied immediately over the wet-out surface or =
any time before the wet-out reaches its final cure. For most small =
bonding operations, add the filler to the resin/hardener mixture =
remaining in the batch that was used for the wet-out. Mix enough =
resin/hardener for both steps. Add the filler quickly after the surface =
is wet out and allow for a shorter working life of the mixture.
=20
Used properly, I suspect a good epoxy like West System will hold up at =
least as long as the rest of the pinblock. West System epoxies have been =
used in the marine industry for at least three decades. The iceboats and =
other boats put together with this epoxy experience much more drastic =
climatic condition changes than (most) any piano pinblock will ever see. =
A good example is the use of epoxy for attaching wooden motor mounts to =
boat framing in the bilge. The wood in that area experiences tremendous =
stresses from the motor vibration and torque, and well as repeated =
submersion into water and subsequent drying out, and temperatures =
ranging from below freezing to tropical. It's hard for me to imagine =
plugs not staying put if the epoxy job is done right.
=20
Still not proof for pinblock plugs. But I feel comfortable with the =
process when done according to manufacturers recommendations. And of =
course, all this is not to say that plugging is better than replacing =
the block!

Terry Farrell
=20

 =20