Sostenuto

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 01 Jan 2003 13:33:36 -0500

In a message dated 1/1/2003 1:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, dm.porritt@verizon.net writes:

> If the sostenuto bar is in the way on other pianos, you
> simply take 60 seconds to remove it, adjust the dampers, and return
> it.  You can tell if the sostenuto is working correctly
> without
> replacing the action 147 times!

Dave

Although adjusting the sostentuo bar with it hanging on the belly rail is easier, it does get in the way, sometimes, of adjusting the dampers. You must be much better at this than me, but I don't like to remove the sostenuto bar, especially on a Baldwin. I work around it, the best I can.

I don't have trouble at all adjusting the sost. bar on a Steinway. I reach inside with a screwdriver, and move the bracket back and forth. It takes a couple of tries, but I don't have to move the action in and out.

As to why Steinway continues to do it this way, I will have to agree with Ed, that it is "tradition". There are lots of things they do, that I think are for tradition, but not necessarily any better than on other pianos. But that makes working on a Steinway so much "fun".

Wim