Sostenuto

Wed, 1 Jan 2003 10:52:51 -0800

Using a screwdriver like that is fine for the position in or out but it =
won't help you with the correct height.  Get a sostenuto adjusting block =
from Steinway which allows you to set the height correctly.  After you =
set the height, you can use a screw driver to tap the rod into position =
with the action installed.

David Love

Feliz Ano Nuevo to everyone, BTW

----- Original Message -----=20
From: <Wimblees@aol.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 01, 2003 10:33 AM
Subject: Re: Sostenuto

In a message dated 1/1/2003 1:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, =
dm.porritt@verizon.net writes:

> If the sostenuto bar is in the way on other pianos, you
> simply take 60 seconds to remove it, adjust the dampers, and return
> it.  You can tell if the sostenuto is working correctly=20
> without
> replacing the action 147 times! =20

Dave

Although adjusting the sostentuo bar with it hanging on the belly rail =
is easier, it does get in the way, sometimes, of adjusting the dampers. =
You must be much better at this than me, but I don't like to remove the =
sostenuto bar, especially on a Baldwin. I work around it, the best I =
can.=20

I don't have trouble at all adjusting the sost. bar on a Steinway. I =
reach inside with a screwdriver, and move the bracket back and forth. It =
takes a couple of tries, but I don't have to move the action in and out. =
=20

As to why Steinway continues to do it this way, I will have to agree =
with Ed, that it is "tradition". There are lots of things they do, that =
I think are for tradition, but not necessarily any better than on other =
pianos. But that makes working on a Steinway so much "fun".

Wim