Clear poly repair

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 20:13:58 +1100

At 11:17 PM -0800 2/1/03, Paul McCloud wrote:
>  . . Ron
>Have you ever tried to seal the damaged area with CA to prevent the
>bleeding
>under the finish?  Have you ever tried CA instead of poly to repair a
>clear
>finish?

Paul,
No in both cases. We use a 2 pack polyurethane sealer to isolate the
coloured veneer from the bleaching characteristics of the MEKP. It
still takes some experience to get the colour right, since the poly
layer will tend to collect light onto the coloured area. The repaired
area must look a few shades darker relative to the surrounding
undamaged area if the colour is to look right once the poly is poured.

One technique I use, when developing the appropriate stain colour for
the repair, is to spray the stain onto a strip of polycarbonate film.
This strip can be held over the repair to make an assessment of the
tone colour prior to applying it to the veneer repair. This can save
a lot of time washing off inappropriate stains to start over.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
Grand Piano Manufacturers