Altenburg/Samick Grand action problems

kam544@gbronline.com kam544@gbronline.com
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:14:16 -0600

>... The dealer made it clear to me last time they would not put any
>more money into this piano so I told the cust I would be happy to
>fix the offenders or take the action home but I would have to charge
>for it this time. She told me it had a lifetime warranty and the
>dealer would have to pay me...
>Mike McCoy RPT...

Since
1) the dealer has declared no payment will be made for further
services rendered,
2) you have declared to the customer you would have to charge this
time for your services, and
3) the customer has declared the dealer would have to pay you
there is a stand-off/deadlock in place.

All three of you have your own interests at stake understandably, but
unfortunately, that is not going to cause anything to happen to
resolve the situation for this customer.

One or more will have to yield to some degree and do what's needed,
whether it is fair/equitable or not. It has become a matter of
professional conscience, and who's it going to be that will rise to
the occasion to rectify it.

Since you are the third tech to be involved, there will be no option
as to a shortcut repair method either. My limited experience with
Samick underlever flanges in particular, were that careful and
deliberate repinning was the only option to free them up permanently.

You are either going to have to choose to be involved, knowing that
you might come out on the short end of the stick, or choose to bow
out, and leave it to someone else to handle. Either way, it's your
choice. I've been there and have made both decisions at different
times and different circumstances.

Best to you on the decisions to be made,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild