Re: Broadwoodgrand°1894

Danny Boddin danny.boddin@pandora.be
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 23:17:43 +0100

Probably we will take out the plate and plug the pinblock. Plate is not
embedded.
The plate is 2cm = 25/32  thick, it will be difficult to drill out bigger
holes in a steady way? if it's possible do we also have to plug the plate
with 2 cm long woodendowels, will the pin be steady with this procedure? we
better  keep the threads in the plateholes ? and use normal new pins that we
tread the same way as the originals? We let you know.

Since the soundboard is not very standard we send it to Ciresacompany to
make an exact duplication, for more normal
standard soundboards you can just send a plan and some ribs. I visited  the
company during the Europianoconvention 2000. Look at www.ciresafiemme.it
Danny Boddin
----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: Broadwoodgrand°1894

> Impressive looking piano. Thanks for posting the picture.
>
> I have no experience with this type of piano. But it looks like you are
doing a very thorough job in general, why skimp on the pinblock? If you want
to avoid replacement because of difficulty, etc., first make sure the
pinblock is intact and very well secured in place, and then consider either
cutting out the tuning pin area of the block and epoxy-ing in new pinblock
material, or plugging with 1/2" plugs. Both these procedures would require
removal of the forward plate-lette. If the plate holes are bigger than the
pin, you could drill out the tuning pin holes with whatever size hole is in
the plate and plug with that size plug without removing the plate. I guess
you could also drill out the plate holes bigger and use bigger plugs - like
3/8" or so - but that seems like a pretty brutal thing to do to a lovely old
piano.

> I can't imagine the plate could be that hard to remove. Likely the
pinblock is mortised into the case, etc., but does it appear that the plate
is also imbedded into the case somehow? If it is only screwed and maybe
glued to the pinblock, I would sure be tempted to do a little bit of gentle
prying.

> And please, what is a new "ciresa" soundboard? How did you go about
arriving at a rib and panel design for the instrument? Please let us know
what you end up doing with the pinblock, etc. I had looked at one of these
pianos a while back. If I had the $$ I would have bought it. I would like to
try one of these sometime in the future.