Broadwoodgrand°1894

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 20:32:50 -0600

At 11:17 PM +0100 1/4/03, Danny Boddin wrote:
>Probably we will take out the plate and plug the pinblock. Plate is not
>embedded.
>The plate is 2cm = 25/32  thick, it will be difficult to drill out bigger
>holes in a steady way? if it's possible do we also have to plug the plate
>with 2 cm long woodendowels, will the pin be steady with this procedure? we
>better  keep the threads in the plateholes ? and use normal new pins that we
>tread the same way as the originals? We let you know.

My humble suggestion is that you simply drill out the plate holes
just enough to allow modern 1/0 pins to pass. This will work fine and
avoid the problem of threading and screwing in the tuning pins. I
have done this several times with good results. The only thing to
watch out for is the larger pins can be very close to the plate
struts at the breaks, making it difficult to get a normwl tip over
them for tuning. Also, and someone with more knowledge can correct me
if I'm wrong, Broadwoods were tuned substantially sharp (450 if I
remember right) and strung fairly heavily (sp?), if you string them
lightly you will end up with no tone in the top. By 1894 I would
think modern wire should be fine, again, anyone with another opinion
please correct me.

--
----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT