Soundboard Cleaning was Re: And Now for SomethingCmpletelyDifferent, WAS Re:[OT Re:ULB;[Experts] What instrument is inside apiano?

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 22:51:13 -0600

House, piano ... spotlessly clean. Except she said she couldn't get to the
soundboard. Those pesky strings!

I happened to have my handy-dandy set of Spurlock grand soundboard
brooms/wipers (?) and offered to push the dirt around. Told her the soda
straw trick and so forth. It was 5 minutes of work  for a goooood client who
had just purchased a DC system and Schaff's large wooden caster cups from
me. So ... reasonable to do it, or not?

Now touching up some unisons afterwards, I had not counted on. Add 15
minutes of "stupid time." But ya learn (hopefully). :-}

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. When seeing an older upright or console for the first time, inspecting
the bridges, adjusting traps, etc. I generally do a little free cleaning for
three reasons: 1. Self preservation ... cough, gick. 2. To be able to
actually see bridge cracks, rust on string loops, etc. and 3. To get
customer relations off to a good start. Time ... I dunno, maybe 15 minutes.
No real options I can see on this one as there are plenty of tuners and
tooners around who have been in these pianos and never cleaned them, maybe
never inspected them. I still need to make regular customers out of every
new call I get!

Maybe others, with a bigger client base, can afford to say: "Madam, YUCK!
I'll clean it for x-many $, otherwise, I'm outa here." But even people who
are terrible housekeepers can be mortified with the junk in their pianos and
it's better to make them happy than to insult them, says I. Well ... that's
my $0.02, anyway.