OT strange thingy resolved

Steven forever.tteot@verizon.net
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 20:22:53 -0500

Hi Ned,

A Celeste is produced by having 2 differently tuned pipes(in a pipe organ)
reeds(in a reed organ/harmonium).  One set is tuned just slightly flat to
achieve the wavering sound...it would be like tuning one of the stings on a
piano note just slightly flat and you would achieve the same thing basically.

As far as their age, I believe that they go back to the 17th century in very
early pipe organs (but I could be wrong and they "came into style" later).  Also
if you have ever heard a Hammond or Lowery electric organ, the speakers have a
"Leslie" which spins a drum with baffles in front of the speaker and  creates a
wavering effect.  In some reed organs, a piece of cardboard on a rotating shaft
spun in front of the reeds and created the same type of wavering.

Hope this helps...at least maybe a bit.  :)

Steven