Rulers, was Re: YC blow distance

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 07:53:57 -0500

At 11:25 PM -0800 1/6/03, Keith Roberts wrote:
>Uh..1.81 inches. The only 6" metal ruler I found was 10ths and
>100ths on one side and 32nd and 64ths on the other. I'll find a
>decent mm ruler around here yet.

Don't be so quick to toss off that 16R-graduated ruler. 1/100"
measurements offer two advantages over mm. First, its resolution is
finer, 1/100" being 40% of a mm. (Depending on your age, corrective
vision may be required.) Second, it immediately opens a door from
factional inches to decimal (as do dial calipers and micrometers).
Now you have all that benefits of metric (decimal) without having to
surrender our Precious National Heritage, probably the most important
thing the British Empire ever  gave us: the inch.

When I send hammer boring info to Wally Brooks, I give them in
decimal inches. He then picks up his digital caliper, dials in the
inches, hits the in/mm button and goes about his business.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I go, two plus like, three is pretty much totally five. Whatever"
     ...........The new math