warped keys

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:46:48 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Teplitski" <koko99@shaw.ca>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: warped keys

 When you cut kerfs and bend back to straight,
 must you first take top off, or is it possible to do with plastic or ivory
 still on ? ? ?  Thanks,

 Carl / Winnipeg

Carl
Make the cuts from the bottom of the key.  This should not require keytop
removal. Use a sharp fine toothed saw.  Leave about 1mm of key stick uncut
to form your "hinge."  Determine the twist in the key relative to the
balance rail.  Sometimes it's in front, sometimes in back, sometimes both.
PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!  Measure very carefully.  Make a model.  Did I mention
plan before you cut.  You can fill the kerf with epoxy and clamp it shut or
slide veneer into the epoxied kerf to spread it open.  Several cuts make a
smoother transition.  Clamp the key to a flat surface covered with plastic,
or other release agent, while the glue dries. I like to wrap the key in
plastic food wrap before clamping to hold the glue in the kerf.

Paul Chick