Pin-tite (was: weird "threaded" tuning pin)

Scott & Jason Jackson jurjens@tpg.com.au
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:27:02 +1100

I have no idea what is in Pin-tite, but Craig Brougher of
www.player-care.com claims to know a thing or two:

"Now comes Pin-Tite. It was formulated by a real live chemist who knew how to do
it. He ran years of experiments. I have spoken to his widow about it, and the
tests which were done to prove it. Her son today is a professional chemist who
supervises its manufacture and tests it. It doesn't rely on water
retention/compression at all! It is made from the resins which come from wood
and a delivery system which allows the wood to _absorb_ it, NOT just entrain it.
That means, it is not simply a coating but an integral part of the pin hole area
which chemically reacts with cellulose, dries completely, and becomes a
permanent part of the plank again. There is nothing in Pin-Tite that does not
come from wood. The resultant tuning is a restored plank, with that nice little
pin "jump" restored, just like Bruce Clark and others want to feel."

Sounds like you could eat it! The complete text can be found at
http://mmd.foxtail.com/Archives/Digests/199703/1997.03.08.13.html

A list of other articles about Pin-tite can be found at:
http://mmd.foxtail.com/Archives/KWIC/P/pin_tite.html

Scott Jackson
Jurjens Pianos
Wollongong Australia