Roslau vs Mapes Gold

Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:01:20 -0800

Yes, the Roslau wire is definitely dirty.  I was really wondering about any
tonal differences.  I thought I heard some mention that it had a bit more
shine or brilliance in the upper registers, but it sounds like both you and
Dale E. don't find any appreciable difference in tone.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 16, 2003 8:46 PM
Subject: Re: Roslau vs Mapes Gold

>Awhile back there was a brief discussion about Roslau vs Mapes Gold Series
>wire.  I'm curious who is using Mapes Gold Series, if you switched from
>Roslau, and why.
>
>thanks
>
>David Love

I use the Gold now. The temper is more uniform. No bad batches that break
at the becket when you make the coil, and it's said to have a slightly
higher breaking limit than Roslau, which comforts me when I'm laying up a
scale with a 54mm C-8. It is considerably more uniform in color and shine,
and cleaner by far than the Roslau so you aren't transferring black gunk
from the wire to your tuning pins with your ever blacker fingers as you
string. No tonal differences that I can tell, but the Gold is sure a lot
nicer to work with.

Ron N