Roslau vs Mapes Gold

Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:33:25 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 16, 2003 9:01 PM
Subject: Re: Roslau vs Mapes Gold

> Yes, the Roslau wire is definitely dirty.  I was really wondering about
any
> tonal differences.  I thought I heard some mention that it had a bit more
> shine or brilliance in the upper registers, but it sounds like both you
and
> Dale E. don't find any appreciable difference in tone.
>
> David Love

Nor have we. We've been using Mapes IG wire since it came out and have been
very happy with it. As Ron mentioned, it's a lot cleaner. We've used it to
replace Roslau in a couple of pianos that had breaking string problems and
have found it to be some tougher. In terms of tone quality I'd rate them
equal. I question the idea that either has "more shine" or more "brilliance"
than the other. I'd want direct side-by-side comparisons using identical
instruments. And that's not likely to happen.

Del