Are we wasting our time? (also relavent to Re: My mistake.....my lesson....a cautionary tale)

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:17:28 -0800 (PST)

By "Scott Joplin original recordings" I suppose you
mean his Connorized piano rolls recorded to LP from a
beat-up, lousy sounding playerpiano, as he never made
any phonograph recordings while living that I have
ever heard of!
    It is a most unfortunate thing that, prior to
Artis Wodehouse's  recording of Gershwin's rolls for
Nonesuch, practically EVERY recording of player pianos
was made on a trashed out piano, as if this were
somehow more "authentic"!!! Poppycock! The finest
pianos ever made, including Masons and Steinways had
player systems fitted to them, and were meant to sound
as rich as their non-player brethren!
     But you are right in that musicians will "adapt"
to whatever is before them, if desperate enough to
play it. And make the best of it.
     Thump