Two Capstans again.....or something else?

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 06:48:16 -0800 (PST)

Dear List,
     It seems to me that the best solution would be a
small roller implanted in the wippen heel, where the
felt normally resides. It would run up an
appropriately shaped ramp, which is adjustable in
height to achieve hammer line. The shape of the ramp
would be carefully designed to achieve the mechanical
advantages desired at each phase of key stroke. The
materials of the roller and ramp would be JUST
resilient enough to avoid clicking.
     And for that matter, why not little rollers on
jacktips and tenders? If there is ONE place where 19th
century technology might beg for an upgrade, wouldn't
this be it? It worked for engine design (roller cams
and rockers).
        Think about it! No more flattened knuckles,
less friction, less lost motion adjustment, and happy,
happy deer not donating their skin to these "art"
products which we call pianos!
     If anyone with a machine shop implements this,
please share the patent royalties with me.
     Thanks!
     Gordon

--- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>