More off the wall stuff

Fri, 17 Jan 2003 22:17:24 -0800

The knuckle mounting was moved from 16.5 to 17mm which allowed for a
slightly higher strike weight.

Of course, "no change" in the touchweight was not possible given the problem
with the loose centers.  The challenge was trying to determine what was
really being sensed and it's a very hard question to answer, even for a very
"aware" pianist.  In the end, I really just decided to set it up the way I
thought was best and that didn't stray too much from what was there and
hoped for the best.

I think we might underestimate the importance of setting up and controlling
friction as a component of how the action feels.  It is interesting that her
first response was that the action was lighter.  It was in terms of balance
weight, was not in terms of down weight and was not in terms of friction.

A 42g BW pushes it a little over the edge for me with the friction range I
describe.  If the friction edges up a little because you've achieved that BW
with a higher strike weight, then it can get a bit cumbersome.  Not that it
couldn't be handled, but it becomes harder to play with total relaxation as
the weight climbs.  I thinks most pianists want to feel that they can
achieve what they want without tension.  For a big pianist it may not be a
problem, but for many others it can create some discomfort, at least in my
experience.

David Love