Aural vs. electronic again, was "Re: Another newbie question"

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 13:35:19 -0600

I love this answer. Bravo!

When asked (and some potential customers do ask) "Do you tune by ear or do
you use one of those machines?" the answers is "Yes, I do."

Then I explain as you have outlined here.

I'm sure that people W/O an ETD usually learn aural tuning much faster out
of sheer necessity--but I had to make a living as a tuner starting about a
month after I got the good ol' Potter course materials. As I had no other
training and no mentors anywhere near here, I could not have done it without
my little machine (bought used, ebay). Then I had to "back into" learning
many aural skills, again on my own,  and there is no doubt having the
machine can be a crutch--it takes practice, i.e., work, to become good at
the aural.

I'm thinking it would be good for me to lock the machine away for 6 months
and let necessity motivate me to get better and faster and more trusting of
my ears. But it's a little scary, too!

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO