Aural vs. electronic again, was "Re: Another newbie question"

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 10:39:32 -0500 (EST)

From: Bill Ballard <yardbird@vermontel.net>
> Are you aural or electronic? (not a trick question, BTW)

Maybe it's not a trick question, but I'm not so new that I don't know the
dangers of answering that question! I carefully avoided the recent
discussion on it. I also know it's against PTG policy to advertise that
one way is better than the other. But I'll take my chances. Here's my
answer:

I would say I'm an electronic-assisted aural tuner, or becoming one. If
I'm going fast, I suppose I'm more of an electronic tuner. But when I'm
practicing and taking my time, I use the ETD as a check for what I am
doing aurally. By the way, I bought an old laptop, and I use TuneLab.

Ideally, I'd aspire to be like Jim Coleman Sr. (and who wouldn't?). He
makes use of every possible feature of the SAT, but is obviously one of
the best aural tuners we have as well.

I guess the message I get is that the ETD is a useful tool, but ultimately
it's best to think of tuning as an aural activity.

As for using an ETD to learn, I have found it to be very helpful. By the
way, if you really want to hear a "newbie" question, somewhere way back in
the archives I said that I used one of those chromatic guitar tuners!
Fortunately people set me straight. It wasn't quite a flame-worthy
question apparently, but I haven't used the chromatic tuner since.
However, I have to admit that it did give me a pretty good tuning on my
smaller piano (I now also have a larger vertical). My theory is that it
provided a non-equal temperament that has key color, which is why it
sounded good. (Heck, I might as well walk into two minefields today.)

At the Convention, when I took the evening class on taking the RPT test,
given by the RCT guys, they had differing opinions on how to use an ETD to
practice. One said to tune the temperament aurally and THEN check it with
an ETD. The other said it's useful to look at the ETD WHILE you are tuning
your temperament. They would probably admit that each way has its place,
but it was interesting to hear the two opinions expressed.

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island