Renner Back Action

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:56:14 -0700

>I'll bet, over the past three years since I have had my shop, I have spent
>half that time doing non-billable tasks. These would range from building
>the shop and fixtures itself, tools, tables, jigs, and you name it. I have
>no doubt that so many things I am getting involved in take me five times
>the amount of time that a more experienced tech would need. I have no fear
>of running into something that is going to take me a lot of time. I
>schedule my projects knowing that I'll run into all sorts of challenges.
>I'm in this for the long run. I don't want to turn away from something
>because it may not be as profitable as something else. I am finding that
>there is much works out there. I prefer to do the type of work that
>interests me and challenges me. If I run into a '70s Steinway backaction
>that is a real bugger and takes me 50 or more hours to do properly, then
>rather than getting 50 hours of pay, I get 50 hours of education. To spend
>50 hour being educated would be a bonus for me. I don't loose either way.
>Of course, I may decide to avoid it next time.........

I sincerely admire this position; I'm totally behind your high standards
for your work and your own fulfillment.  I'm merely, as a compassionate
associate, giving you a heads up about the radical difference in
difficulty and level of Murphy with '70's Steinways......go for it; your
attitude is one I respect.
Just don't forget to make some money.

David A.