Piano Side

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:25:52 -0700

Hi Clide,
What I have used in the past to clamp sides together are called pony =
clamps.
They are a screw device with a handle for one end and the other has a =
solid stop.These are attached to a one inch water pipe. The pipe can be =
any length you want.
To keep from damaging the case with the clamp we used 2x4s covered with =
cardboard against the sides and the clamps pulled on the 2x4s thus no =
scraping of the finish.
The first patient was an upright grand that had fallen out of a pickup =
and burst into a 100 case parts all the sound board, plate, and action =
were unharmed so gluing it back together was a viable option.
Of course after much cosmetic surgery the best finish was black<G>
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 5:03 AM
  Subject: Re: Piano Side

  Don,=20
  Thank you for a very helpful response.  I also have a client with a =
vertical piano in which the entire right side is separated from the =
strung back.  Since I wasn't quite sure how to go about doing the =
repair, and the customer didn't seem to want any extra expense, it =
hasn't been repaired yet.=20

  I do have a question about the clamping you mention.  Can one actually =
buy clamps long enough to reach from one side of the piano to the other? =
 It seems to me that is what you would need.  Also, if they are =
available, I find it hard to part with the needed bucks to buy tools I =
may never need more than once.=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde Hollinger, RPT=20

  Donald Mannino wrote:=20

    Jack,=20
    It's OK with me if you declare the piano a total loss, and have them =
buy a new Kawai!=20

    :-)=20

    You will be better off removing the side and cleaning things up.  =
Take out the bottom board, action and keybed, remove the side from the =
back.=20

    After cleaning up splinters, carefully align the side again - it =
should be nearly flush with the rear facing panels top and bottom.  =
Match the other side exactly at the top - some models are even with the =
pinblock, others are not.  Once you get a good location, mark it all =
over the place to help get it back there.=20

    After taking the side off again, drill some small holes near the top =
and bottom, and install bridge pins point side out so that the point =
just barely sticks out the side (you can super glue or epoxy them into =
the holes).  Position the side panel according to your marks, and tap on =
it with a rubber mallet to leave marks in the side panel to help with =
alignment and keeping the side in position when clamping.  Then apply =
thick epoxy, put the panel on, and clamp it.=20

    Make sure the sides are parallel also - it could be easy to have the =
re-glued side angled out at the front if you only clamp at the back!  =
That would be a mess.=20

    Depending on the age of the piano, you might also want to call me at =
Kawai - if you are not comfortable doing this job, it could possibly be =
sent back to the factory in North Carolina and repaired there.  We did =
this with a UST-7 that had similar problems in a church a few years =
back.=20

    Don Mannino RPT=20
    Kawai America=20
    800-421-2177=20
     =20

    At 04:53 PM 1/20/2003 -0800, you wrote:=20

      I am currently working on a Kawai. It is a school piano that the =
kids dropped off the stage. The piano is fine, except for the side. The =
glue has come undone. Question, Do I insert glue and clamp or do I take =
the whole side off and clean off old glue and reglue?=20
      Also what kind of glue do I use?=20
      Thanks=20
      Jack