OT Re: What prattel is a Thumper?

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:22:58 -0500

Hi Tom,

>> Last point first,   Yes it is possible to find true identity in the =
"from "field, but a more forthright technique would make ownership less =
uncertain.

Perhaps Thump could consider the following to avoid conveying the =
impression (to some) that he is trying to hide his identity:

(1) Change his email identity to "Thump Stelter."  (Do you think that =
would put everyone's mind at ease?) In Explorer:  Tools/Accounts/(select =
email identity)/Properties/(change name)
(2) He would probably want to create a second identity for more formal =
use.  (For instance, I have identities for "Sarah Fox, Ph.D." and "Sarah =
Fox," depending on whether I am corresponding as a brain injury =
consultant or a regular person.)  He could create a second, "Gordon =
Stelter" identity as follows:  Tools/Accounts/Add/Mail.  Fill out the =
"display name" as "Gordon Stelter."  Then work through the rest of the =
"add identity" wizard using the same pop and smtp settings as used in =
the primary identity.  If uncertain about any of these settings, they =
can be modified later under Tools/Accounts/(select email =
identity)/Properties.
(3) If he has two email configurations, he must select the appropriate =
identity when sending an email.  There will be a "from" field at the top =
of each email he composes.  He can pull down a list of identities using =
the arrow at the right, and he can make his selection accordingly.  Of =
course he might forget to do this, in which case he could confuse one of =
his clients or someone on this list.

Personally, I just accept that his nickname is Thump, even if his emails =
all say they're from "Gordon Stelter."  But then again, different things =
apparently bother different people.

>>   Secondly, Mr. Stetler has the right to his beliefs, but his recent =
contributions, outspoken -yes, passionate -certainly, in my opinion =
would be best expressed elsewhere.

I didn't comment with regard to the appropriateness of passionate and/or =
inflammatory and/or off-topic posts on this list.  I will likewise =
refrain from commentary now.  I was merely taking issue with the =
practice of bullying someone (*my* perception, maybe not shared by =
others) because of his or her name or nickname.  Honestly, I thought =
that sort of thing was supposed to stop by adolescence.

Peace,
Sarah (who admittedly has baggage from her long childhood history of =
being bullied)