"The List"... My Humble (long) Opinion

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:06:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi List People,

You didn't ask for it, but here is what I think about
this list.

In the past weeks and months I have observed many
different views of piano repair, rebuilding, and
tuning techniques.  I have also read many posts
commenting on politics, religion, newbies, nicknames
(hi Thump), apologies and more.

In the past 2 days I've sadly read posts by
individuals who have "had enough" and announced an
immediate forthcoming "unsubscription" to Pianotech.

Today,I spent a good part of my day thinking about
what I "get" from the list and what is the "purpose"
of the list.  (disclaimer) I am not a contributor,
I've been a tech less than a year. I don't have little
tricks and cool tools I've invented to share with you.
 I just haven't been around long enough, yet.

I belong to the Puget Sound Chapter of the PTG (joined
last March) but I only see most of those guys once a
month.  (If you want my credentials, ask me for them).

However, I read Pianotech EVERY day!!  You people are
basically my "experienced co-workers" who are
generously sharing knowledge.  In most real jobs (not
like this isn't a real job)the buzzer goes off every 2
hours and the workers go to the break room and discuss
politics, hot cars, religion, news and weather.

That's what Pianotech is for me, a chance to find out
how other techs live, how they think, work habits,
styles, and preferences.  It's important for me to
know that I, too, can someday dry out soundboards,
measure action ratios (have no clue what that is) and
maybe even tune aurally!!  (No, I'm not using
Pianotech to train myself to be a tech, but it's sure
a good supplement to Randy Potter's course and daily
on the job experience.)

It's also important to me that people care about
Pianotech and what the PTG stands for.  It's good to
hear from the watchdog in NH, or the lonely (but very
witty) tech in Salem, MO. or the slimebags in  Florida
who get to do piano work in suntans and shorts, or
Kansas, or...(the list goes on and on).

So THANK YOU fellow list people for being a part of my
daily life.

Dave Davis
Renton, WA

P.S.  My given name is David LaVerne Davis.  I prefer
to go by Dave, and you get three guesses why I seldom
use my middle name.