aural technique for treble

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:48:39 EST

In a message dated 1/22/03 8:55:38 PM Central Standard Time,
piano@charlesneuman.net writes:

> When you're tuning the treble, instead of going note by note from the top
> of the temperament section to the top, why not go octave by octave?
>
> That is, if the temperament ends at A4, I would tune B4, and then B5, B6,
> and B7. Then I'd go back and tune C4, C5, C6, C7, C8, etc.
>
> The main disadvantage I'd see would be that if my stretching gets too
> wide, for example, I might end up so that my A's are all too sharp for the
> A#'s that I tuned a while ago. Yeah, I guess that's the drawback.

You're right about the consequences.  Any given octave can sound good by
itself and out of context with the rest of the piano.  You need to make each
note you tune work with all of the others.  Look up Jim Coleman's recent post
on this.  Also, you'll find an article I wrote long ago on octave tuning on
my website.  I call it "Tempered Octaves".

Most people think in terms of "pure" sounding octaves but if you study this
subject in depth, you'll discover that neither octaves nor 5ths can ever
truly be "pure" although they can sound that way to you or in a musical
context.  The method of octave tuning I developed some 20 years ago is really
quite easy to learn and can be done with the same accuracy either aurally or
electronically.  Over the years, I have received many enthusiastic comments
from others who have tried it.  Although I've never seen anyone who goes
about it in quite the neat, easy and simple way that I do, there are others
who have basically the same idea.  It isn't the only way but in general, it
gives me a superb sounding treble every time I use it and it is the way I
most often tune a piano.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin