aural technique for treble

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:33:05 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Wim wrote:
> Try an experiment. Tune the octaves perfect, but on purpose, tune the third
> and the fifth of the chord flat or sharp. Then play the chord. Tell me if you
> like what you hear.

Point taken.

The fact is, you could still use running intervals in the octave above the
temperament section (call it the "5th octave") while you're tuning it.
Then when you complete that octave, you might have discontinuity at the
beginning of the 6th octave, which was already tuned. But if your octaves
were good enough, maybe all you'd need to do is touch up the notes, using
running intervals as tests. Of course, this would require more work. So
there's not really any reason to do it this way, other than to think about
whether it could be done.

I just had so much fun doing it with my ETD, so I'm still wired from it.

Charles