Yow-yow-yowing bass strings

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:53:33 -0700

I know I'm jumping into the discussion a little late, and haven't seen
the original post.  But from what I've read, we're talking about the
growl present in some bass sections?  Someone mentioned the clarity of
the Bösendorfer not having this quality.

Is it possible that we're talking about a voicing issue?
I understand (some) of the physics discussed in the previous posts.  It
seems to me that the density of the hammer felt hitting the string,
would have some effect on the vibration that flows down the string.  (I
know, we call this "voicing") :)

But it seems that a harder hammer would cause "more" of the effect
described earlier.

And to the person  talking about the Bösendorfer action traveling
straighter: string leveling is also a contributing factor.  I've seen
good growls, and bad growls in bass sections.  And I've never seen
anything get rid of a bad metallic growl like string leveling/hammer
squaring.

Any thoughts on this, or am I completely off base here?

Jonathan Finger RPT.