close enough>??

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:29:21 -0600

Nothing magic here, I just tune starting at F3, tuning the left
string while muting the center and right.  I tune the center string
next, followed by the right, then proceed to F#3, and so on up to C8.
 Then I go back to E3 down to A0 unisons as I go.

If a pitch raise is needed I just tune from A0 - C8 unisons as I go
but no mutes.  The spectrum display (zoomed in) of TuneLab helps you
to see as well as hear what the separate strings are doing.  That's
one of the many great things about TuneLab.  Interestingly, when you
get a false beat on a single string, you can actually see the two
different frequencies that the single string is making if you watch
the spectrum display.

dave

On 1/23/2003 at 8:51 PM SUSAN P SWEARINGEN wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Could those of you that tune unisons as you go explain your
procedure?  I
>use a Verituner and use the following method.
>
>1.  Strip mute tenor and treble areas
>2.  Tune temperament area and also notes down to the tenor/bass
break
>(middle strings only)
>3. Tune octaves up to C88 (middle strings only)
>4. Pull out the strip mutes and tune unisons from C88 down to the
>tenor/bass
>break (tuned aurally)
>5. Tune down from the tenor bass break down to A0, tuning unisons as
I go.

>I will always do a quick pitch correction if the piano is off more
than
>about 4 cents.  If the piano is 4 cents or better (almost never on
the
>pianos I tune), then I will go right to fine tuning as described in
the
>steps above.
>
>The problem I've encountered is by the time I get to step 5, the
middle and
>upper registers usually settle by .5 to 1 cent. Of course   I
suppose to
>get
>best accuracy using this method, I should perform step 5 aurally
instead of
>using the ETD.  Would tuning unisons as I go take care of the above
>problem?
>For people that tune unisons as they go, what exact procedure are
you
>using?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Corte Swearingen

By
> [...]
>> done
>> >below.
>> >S0, I was using a 2.2 cent overpull at this point and was leaving
>> clean
>> >unisons as I went.  The entire process took 54 minutes.
>> >   I finished just as an accompanist and two string players
walked
>> in, so
>> >asked them to play it and listen.  Around here, everybody knows
that
>> they
>> >can
>> >be honest with me, and they also know that there is no telling
what
>> sort
>> >of
>> >temperament I might be throwing at them, so there is no fear or
>> loathing
>> >involved in letting ol' Ed know that this or that tuning doesn't
>> work for
>> >them.  Their response was:
>> >"It sounds beautiful!"  I asked them to check the double and
triple
>> >octaves.
>> >Their response was, " They are so clean and even!"
>> >   As the music, cases, and rosin bags were being opened, I
zeroed
>> the
>> >machine and went back to check my results.  Every single A was
>> within one
>> >cent of where it was supposed to be, all the C's were too, except
>> slight
>> >sharpening in the last two octaves,(resulting, I surmise, from
there
>> being
>> >no
>> >further strings above them to take advantage of the overpull
>> results).
>> >   So, this raises the question of always needing two passes.  Is
>> one
>> >cent
>> >variation worth the extra time? I believe it is not, in this
venue,
>> where
>> >the
>> >pitch will change that much from day to day, depending on the
>> lights,
>> >presence of the orchestra, HVAC fluctuations,etc. Had I been in a
>> >recording
>> >studio,  I would have done a rough pass first, but more for
>> insurance than
>> >anything else.
>> >    In so much of the debate over relative values of machines vs.
>> ears,
>> >we
>> >overlook the practical considerations.  I would like to see a
>> comparison
>> >of
>> >results that pits two tuners against one another in a more real
>> world
>> >setting. Something like, two pianos that are 8 cents flat, with
>> maybe a
>> >cleaning crew in the hallway, and with a 1 hour deadline, etc.
Oh