freebies

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:35:58 -0600

Ron,

At 10:28 1/25/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>The pretty much universal consensus as I read it is that a first pass
>pitch correction, however large or small, is done as quickly as possible.
>Little time is wasted on stability. The idea is to get the tension up, get
>it in the ball park, and get on with it. Something in the vicinity of
>20-25 minutes seems to be about average.
>
>Pass two, I then read, is to clean up pass one, which the pitch correction
>features of the ETD got so close on the first pass that many strings don't
>have to be moved at all.
>
>So in the case where freebies (a serendipitous artifact of pass one) are
>cheerfully accepted as a windfall benefit during pass two, how can a
>finished tuning that has a number of strings on which no attempt has been
>made to settle and stabilize them be a decent and solid tuning?
>
>Does not compute.
>Ron N

Simple, first do a solid test/settling blow, _then_ check for serendipity. ;-}

Lots-o-times it seems that the serendipity comes with the unisons, where
you _have_ settled them whilst they were still muted off.

Conrad Hoffsommer PTG RPT, MPT, CCT
Decorah, IA
Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems