freebies

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 11:43:08 -0700

Call me crazy, but I think it's possible to get a stable tuning without
banging the heck out of each note.

I think if you've developed a good enough technique of moving the pin in
the wood, you can put the pitch where you want it, and not have to
strike it into place.

I know that many will disagree, but I don't believe that banging notes
will necessarily equalize the tension across all points.  I've played
with this quite a bit over the last several years, and have found my
tunings to equally as stable (or more so) when I concentrate on setting
the pin, and not using test blows.

For those of you who know me, you know that I try to do quality work,
and you know that when I say "stable" I mean it.

Also, if I over-pull a note, and it ends up right where I want it (even
after a bit of FF playing, then why would I think it isn't stable?
Yes this freebie is welcome... the fewer notes I move, the more stable I
would think the tuning to be.

Regards,

Jonathan Finger RPT.