mason & hamlin est.

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:11:12 EST

In a message dated 1/25/03 3:37:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, Wimblees@aol.com
writes:

> Terry, measure the thing. There is no 6' M&H. It's either 5'8" (A), or 6'4"
> (BB).
>
> If it's an A, it won't bring any where near $25,000, especially with an
> original action. More like $15,000, and that is if the action had been
> rebuilt. That makes the whole sale value, as is, a lot less. More like
> $1500 - $2000.
>
> Now, if this was a BB, the figures Ed quoted would be more in line.

If it's "around" 6', it's likely to be an AA, which is 6' 2".  The model is
molded into the plate.  (Don't tell me they don't exist, because I have
one....:-)  I would agree with Ed's figures.  New M and Hs fetch almost 40k
for an A, and close to 50 for a BB.  Shops in the SF Bay Area routinely get
12-15k for As in need of lots of work.

4-5 thousand is a good investment for what is essentally the skeleton for a
potentially really nice piano.  If it's an AA, the finished product can be
pretty stunning.  Just make sure you have somebody else move it for you--it
is the heaviest piano of it's size you are likely to encounter.

Dave