High quality?

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:00:35 EST

In a message dated 25/01/03 6:22:43 PM, swiftspiano@hotmail.com writes:

<< OK.  What I have is a Baldwin Hamilton 5'2" that was built in the 20s.
........................................... she will be getting the parts at
cost and the
labor will be at a reduced rate and done during my spare time. So, will the
expensive parts make the piano sound better or will it just be a waste of
money?

Ned;
 This thingee seems like it is worth the extra, small, expense of "quality".
The Mapes strings would not be a bad choice though there are more expensive
("quality") strings out there. If you are going to get into rescaling the
thingee then you might consider the 'alternative' strings.
 As for the hammers..... Abel lights or Renner lights would be a good fit and
though they are "quality" hammers they are not out of line with competitor's
product pricing.
 Other's mileage will vary but this is my take.
Jim Bryant (FL)