Hanta Virus

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 01:19:07 -0500

Hi Carl et al.,

> It's my understanding that virii are dead.  That's why antibiotics can't
kill them.  Virii are fractured dna particals whose danger is that the body
tends to replicate them and cause problems.   I don't know if that is true
or not.

Very good!  That probably puts you in the 99th percentile of knowledge on
this point. :)

Viruses take different forms, but they are commonly DNA or RNA strands
encased in a protein.  When the protein attaches to a cell membrane and
penetrates it, the genetic material enters the cell.  The cell then
replicates the genetic material and the protein capsules until it fills up
with them and bursts.  Then the replicated viruses attack other cells.  Very
nasty.

Viruses are not killed but rather physically destroyed by UV light, pH
changes, dehydration, temperature, etc.  (They're also recognized and
destroyed by our immune systems, of course.)  To gain an appreciation of
what happens to a virus when it dries up, wad up a piece of paper.  Now
"rehydrate" it by straightening it out.  Does it look like new? <grin>
Large organic molecules undergo nasty changes in conformation with heating,
dehydration, pH changes, etc., such that they can't be completely
straightened out later -- like a hopelessly tangled slinky.  That renders
them harmless.

The final question is one of how much dehydration, temp change, pH change,
etc. is necessary to hopelessly tangle the thing.  On that issue, I know
very little of this particular virus.

Peace,
Sarah Fox (OH)