Newbie tuning liability question

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:42:53 -0600

Observe as you set up to tune and as you start to tune. Talk to the =
customer about concerns and even worst case scenarios. Then if they want =
to proceed, they have been warned. Everytime I pitch raise I warn about =
broken strings. Its the one time I don't that I actually end up breaking =
one. But I can't say that anyone has blamed me for accidental damage. =
After an honest explanation of the situation, most people are very =
reasonable. I don't think anyone has ever given me trouble on something =
like this. I don't think you need anything in writing.

On the subject of liability, I do believe in my business being heavily =
insured. I am covered up to a million dollars for just about anything =
that can happen. You could heat a shank and burn down the house. You =
could back over a kid in the driveway. After watching my daughter have a =
very close call on an auto insurance claim against her, I have come to =
conclusion that you cannot have too much insurance for situations that =
could wipe you out for life (I'm not talking about extended warrantys =
and such, which are usually a rip off). One time I was sitting on a =
customers floor doing some elbows when a baby that I didn't even know =
was in the house had crawled over to my tool case. She put her hand on =
it and the heavy pallet laiden lid came down on her fingers. I was =
surprised nothing was broken and the mom took the blame for not watching =
junior. It could have come down in a much different way. If you are in =
business long enough something is bound to happen. This insurance is not =
that expensive. End of rant.

Dave Bunch
  ----- Original Message -----=20