Newbie tuning liability question

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:32:33 -0400

I carry liability insurance.
Lots of things can happen, and all of us should have it.
I got it initially, when I used to work on electronic organs and keyboards. I had read, about someone doing a repair wrong, and a fire started, and the house burnt down.
In pianos, a wire could break, and hit a child who could be close by. etc etc Remember the Boy Scout Motto, "Be Prepared"
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: keys88
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 9:48 AM
  Subject: Newbie tuning liability question

  I regards to the recent self destructing piano post, It brought to mind a question about a tuners liability overall.  When I get the experience and confidence one of these days to make my first tuning /service call, how do you deal with things that are beyond your control with the customer?  So many bad conditions can exist in a customers piano, such as extremes as the cracked harp, broken bridges, loose tuning pins that won't hold, rusty strings that break, and so on.  Not to mention the piano in such ill repair that it cannot be tuned properly without further repair, that the customer may not won't to pay for at the moment.
    My question is if anyone has an invoice that they have the customer initial, that you clearly explain your terms, so there is no misunderstanding.  Such as, you won't be held responsible for "such and such" base on the condition of your piano, or that a large pitch raise is done at the customers own risk, due to the age of the piano, or so on.
    Thanks very much

  Tom

  Patiently waiting for membership info from the PTG