soundboardinstal again

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:59:44 -0400

David Love wrote:
> John:
>
> I don't know if you are rib crowning or compression crowning, but might
> that difference be explained by changes that occur due to compression after
> the board is installed?

I don't think the method of crowning will make a difference here. What
compression are you talking about? If you are talking about the SB
picking up moisture, yes that could make it stiffer. But my observations
are made with the SB at the same moisture content (or very close) so
there will not be any additional compression (this compression would
happen with either a rib crowned board or a panel crowned board). I am
talking about the difference in SB stiffness (resistance to load)
between dry clamping into the case and gluing it in. I notice an
increase in stiffness. I interpret this to mean that a soundboard
receives additional support from being firmly attached to the case.
Because I use wedges to pre stress the board before setting  or
adjusting bearing I can feel how stiff the board is. I suppose if you
didn't use the wedges you may not notice this. The soundboard is like a
stiffening spring, it gets firmer as you press it down. I notice the
increased stiffness at the bottom of the pre stressing, the slack area
at the top seems to remain fairly loose. I usually find I need to lift
the plate up 2mm or more in the middle and bass. The treble remains
pretty mush the same. This is fairly predictable and Steinway plates are
easily adjusted (with the plate dowels not the plate bolts) before
securing the plate down and stringing.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin