soundboardinstal again

Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:47:31 -0700

To: <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>; "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 22, 2003 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: soundboardinstal again

> I suppose if you
> didn't use the wedges you may not notice this.

I've pre-stressed many a board and still have not noticed this. We dry-fit
our boards by screwing them down without glue around the parameter. We then
check string bearing, do our bridge work and establish a plate height. When
all is as we want it we glue the board in, finish it and set the plate back
to the same elevation established during the dry-fit. We generally end up
with the expected string bearing with no further adjustment.

I do agree, though, that a soundboard might well be moderately stiffer with
the parameter glued than it is while simply screwed down. A clamped-edge
panel will always be somewhat stiffer than a semi-clamped, or semi-floating
panel. It would be some difficult to screw a board down tightly enough to
qualify as a truly clamped-edge panel. Trying to predict just how much
stiffer it will become brings in a number of variables, including how
tightly it was screwed down, how thick the panel is, how thick the ribs
are, the stiffness of the various materials, the crown radius, etc.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
-- This phenomena is noted whether the panel is crowned or not. In other
words, with all other factors remaining the same, it will be similar with
both a crowned panel and a flat panel.
-- Soundboard panel stiffness and the ability of a given soundboard panel
to retain crown over the years are two different things.

Del

Del