CP-70/80 patent numbers

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sat, 31 May 2003 18:24:07 -0600

At 05:42 PM 31/05/03 +0200, Steven K. wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm a Dutch Audio Design student (and parttime Rhodes technician)
>currently graduating on the subject of the Yamaha CP series
>electro-mechanical pianos.

Cool! I have both a Rhodes 88 note Stage Piano and a CP-70B. The Rhodes has
seen a LOT of better days, but the Yamaha is like new.

>For my research, I'd really like to read the patents about the
>innovations in the CP pianos at www.uspto.gov, but a search there hasn't
>been very productive. The online original manuals at
>http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/index.html weren't much help
>either.
>
>I know from experience with my Rhodes that patent numbers are often
>printed inside the instrument. Could someone that owns a CP-70 or CP-80
>please check their instrument if this is the case with theirs too? It
>would help me a great deal.

I didn't see any inside or outside mine, though I just opened the lid and
didn't split the halves to see if there were any other plates in it. The
serial number plate on the bottom just says "CP-70B" and the serial number
along with the Yamaha logo.

Other than the way the case is put together and perhaps the way the
pickups  are wired is there much in a CP-70 that could be patented? It's
mostly old or pre-existing technology, really.

Good luck!

                 John