Deep Freeze Piano!!!!!

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 01 Jun 2003 13:46:42 -0500

>I too was skeptical when I heard about cryogenics but after searching the
>WEB found a gfreat deal of information about it. Here is one page.
>http://www.americancryogenics.com/process.html . On one of the other sites
>(don't remember which one now) showed a crosssectin of metal before and
>after treatment. The treatment takes 48-72 hours and apparently does change
>the molecular structure of the metal. There were testimonials from drummers
>about their cymbals amd a saxophonist bragging about his better sounding
>horn.
>
>I am no scientist, just curious.
>
>Dennis Benson RPT

I looked it up too. Sure enough, it's used in conditioning metals. This
still has virtually nothing to do with wood, which is of entirely different
material and structure. Someone says something that sounds authoritative
and hints at truth, someone else passes it on without verifying any of it,
and the next thing you know it becomes one of those things "we were
taught", that no amount of science, logic, or actual demonstration will
ever dislodge. You watch. About a year from now, someone will post to the
list saying something like "I understand freezing the soundboard improves
the tone", and we'll do it all over again.

But how do we know whether or not the wood improved? The article didn't
tell us the time elapsed between taking the piano out of the freezer and
testing the pitch, nor did it tell us what the pitch testing showed
(assuming it was tested again) two weeks later - or two weeks prior, for
that matter. Nor does it point out that the pitch produced when a
soundboard is thumped depends on where you thump it, nor does it point out
that the produced pitch is no indication whatsoever of how the piano will
sound when it's strung. That's a lot of points not pointed, and that's the
point.

Starting with a false presumption that a thump tone pitch is indicative of
tone potential in a strung piano (using the largely invalid comparison of a
violin to a piano (as usual) to make the presumption), a false analogy is
drawn from a different and unrelated branch of science, and the testing
that supposedly proves the original hypothesis tells us nothing about
either the conditions of the testing, nor the results in the finished piano
- much less the reproducibility of the results.

We can all sit and scratch our heads wondering, but there certainly isn't
any information of any use whatsoever from that article about how a one
time exposure to moderately low temperatures (not even to cryogenic levels,
which require at least -300°F) affect soundboard wood except a good
illustration of how these kinds of ideas are so readily embraced without
sufficient examination.

It's yet another of the magic bullet/philosophers stone free lunches that
everyone wishes they would find to revolutionalize the industry, science,
the world, the universe, get dates, grow hair, get rich, etc.

But that's just my opinion. Meanwhile, I'm off to my considerably less than
cryogenic level freezer to see if that ice cream has significantly improved
in tone and taste since the last time (I check frequently). It's a
long-term research project of mine that's already revolutionized my waistline.

Ron N