1999 Steinway L with heavy action

Mon, 02 Jun 2003 18:07:45 +0200

"David C. Stanwood" wrote:

> >Looks to me you are looking at a about a 6.0 SW Ratio, and perhaps some
> >significant uneveness there. Check the knuckle allignment and placement of
> >the capstans for eveness, and of course make sure notes that stick out are
> >correctly regulated....
> >
> >Otherwise... seems to me that you could pretty much even out the SW curve to
> >a Top medium curve, and adjust Front Weights to give you about a 39 BW
> >without too much difficulty and without creating a problem with too much lead
> >as well....
>
> >RicB
>
> Richard,
>
> I disagree...  We find that above 1/2 medium SW for a 6.0 ratio your going
> to have the possibility for weight problems...  Top Medium SW with 6.0
> ratio puts you well above the FW ceiling.  41 BW would keep it at the
> ceiling but this is still not a good dynamic combination.

Quite so, but then my suggestion was meant as a way of improving the present
situation at minimal cost and least amount of change to the existing
configuration.  I aggree in principle with about keeping under the maximum FW's,
yet frontweighting to a 39 BW here would only mean exceeding those by a small
amount. Certainly not a Mercedes solution, but quick and easy.

I might add that so far, what I find pianists react to first and formost is the
effect of the eveness of an even BW yeilded by a smooth SW and FW curve. Weight /
leverage mismatches seem to need to get a bit more marked before they demand
addressing. I think this also applies to some extent to BW as well. Take the job
we did here in Bergen when you were here. Its quite a bit heavier then the
unadjusted and newer C it sits beside, yet nearly everyone wants to play it
because of how it feels. Only one professor likes the newer one better, and he,
interestingly enough, likes plays much only early classic and baroque music. He
also likes a glassy sharpness to the sound of the instrument... grin... drives the
rest of the faculty nuts.

Good sound advice tho Mark... from the master himself. Personally, I'd like to see
more of this kind of discussion. Sharpens our skills and understanding of these
leverage tools David Stanwood has given us to use, and spreads the general
awareness of their value.

Cheers

RicB

--