1999 Steinway L with heavy action

David C. Stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Mon, 02 Jun 2003 10:14:38 -0400

>Looks to me you are looking at a about a 6.0 SW Ratio, and perhaps some
>significant uneveness there. Check the knuckle allignment and placement of
>the capstans for eveness, and of course make sure notes that stick out are
>correctly regulated....
>
>Otherwise... seems to me that you could pretty much even out the SW curve to
>a Top medium curve, and adjust Front Weights to give you about a 39 BW
>without too much difficulty and without creating a problem with too much lead
>as well....

>RicB

Richard,

I disagree...  We find that above 1/2 medium SW for a 6.0 ratio your going
to have the possibility for weight problems...  Top Medium SW with 6.0
ratio puts you well above the FW ceiling.  41 BW would keep it at the
ceiling but this is still not a good dynamic combination.

David Love's advise is good except for the fact that there are already 17mm
knuckles, although I would go a little below TopMedium SW with a 5.8 ratio.
 I personally would prefer a 5.5 ratio as found in Hamburg Steinways with
TopMedium and 38 BW.  Perhaps angling the capstan and bringing capstan
contact point out towards the balance rail side of the heel would work to
bring the ratio down to a desired level if you want.

Or just "smooth down" the Strike Weight down to 1/2 medium and rebalance
the keys....

Thanks Richard for your exemplary use of Strike Weight Zones in the
conversation...

Mark, just send 88 SW's and we'll have 88 ratio calcs...  You can use the
data to fix errant SW's which is the most important thing to do before you
balance the keys...

David Stanwood

Graphs at:

http://www.stanwoodpiano.com/md053103as.jpg