heavy Steinway action

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 23:01:41 -0500

><< But it's not. Every single piece of that action was manufactured using
>machinery.
>  >>

>Hmmmm Do dat means y'all tunes by machine? se'ins how the definition of
>"machine" is:
>  "A device consisting of fixed and moving parts that modifies mechanical
>energy and transmits it in a more useful form. b. A simple device, such as a
>lever, a pulley, or an inclined plane, that alters the magnitude or
>direction, or
>both, of an applied force; a simple machine."

It do.

>  Don dat fit the description of a tuning hammer/lever??

Yup, and my tuning fork too.

>You ole machine tuner you!! :-)

Seems I is.

>  I can't help but think that if these thingees under discussion were truly
>"hand made" that we would find far fewer after delivery manufacturer problems
>than we do....huh?
>Phil Jolly

It seems to depend on the marketing category. "Hand made" in some instances
equates to some unrecognizable thing carved by the billion from found
wood-like substance with minimal effort and time by either teeth or
explosives for sale to the local tourists at as high a rate of return as
possible. In other cases, it's an excuse for erratic results in production.
In still others, it's indicative of first class work in small lot and
unique items.

Ideally, "hand made" should mean that the maker takes either the credit, or
the blame for the product - depending on how it turns out.

Ron N