Restoration (was Re: Historical Pianos)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 19:18:28 -0400

Comments below:

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Phillip Ford" <fordpiano@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 6:14 PM
Subject: Restoration (was Re: Historical Pianos)

> >I'll assume by "at odds with some on this list" referrs to those that =

> >replace parts and perhaps make some modifications?
>=20
> Yes, it refers to those that perhaps make some modifications or =
perhaps
> feel that previous designs are inadequate or obsolete.  There have =
been many
> discussions on the list since I've been a subscriber about what =
constitutes=20
> restoration or rebuilding, how much modification results in a piano =
that
> is markedly different from the original maker's intent, what's ethical =
and
> what's not, what's appropriate and what's not, etc.  This fellow is =
offering=20
> his view, which I found interesting, and which I thought might be
> interesting to others that participate in these discussions, whether =
they agree
> with him or not.  I admire him for having a set of values which he can
> elucidate which guide his work.
>=20
>=20
> >I read his statement and did not find anything at odds there. He is
> trying=20
> >to restore pianos. Folks who replace and or redesign pianos are not
> trying=20
> >to restore an instrument, they are creating a new one from an old
> carcass.
>=20
> Yes, I see that.  I must have a different interpretation of what he =
has to=20
> say.  My interpretation was that, for him, working on a piano means
> restoration.  Redesigning and remanufacturing are not options because =
they are
> inappropriate.  In my opinion that puts him at odds with those that =
are
> 'creating a new one from an old carcass'.

I wouldn't put it that he is with odds with others. If it is the case =
that, for him, working on a piano means restoration, then I think there =
is the implication that for others, working on a piano may have =
different meanings.

> >  IMHO there is quite a difference between restoring a piano and=20
> > rebuilding or remanufacturing a piano.
>=20
> Yes, I agree.
>=20
>=20
> >If you are trying to know/experience/whatever the piano as it was=20
> >originally created - restore it. If you have an idea of what a
> performance=20
> >piano should be and can't find one at your local dealer, then=20
> >remanufacture one.
> >
> >Terry Farrell
>=20
> And what is your idea of what a performance piano should be and how =
did
> you arrive at that idea?

I would have to say that I don't really have enough experience with =
pianos yet to have refined my tastes, let alone know all the details of =
what design parameters produce preferred qualities. The little bit that =
I think I know is smooth, even tone across the whole keyboard (good =
bass/tenor break - consistent tone - no killer octave and the likelihood =
that one will not develop for a long time, if ever), a piano with =
predictable characteristics, a Stanwood-type keyboard/action, good =
sustain, a singing high treble, enough power for the facility/use. I =
arrived at these few characteristics by observation and what makes sense =
to me.

In all honesty, for me, I draw heavily on my fairly broad amateur =
experience with performance cars and sailboats. I have been intimately =
involved with redesigning (at the amateur level) and rebuilding both =
cars and boats for racing, etc. With cars and boats, NO manufacturer =
EVER makes the ultimate product. Every product is a major compromise =
between what might make a performance product and one that has a price =
tag condusive to maximizing sales/profit. I'm learning about pianos, and =
I haven't seen anything yet that suggests to me that piano manufacturers =
are any different. Why would they be?

It's really just where I feel comfortable. It just makes sense to me to =
redesign any modern piano. But also, I don't think I would criticize =
anyone for doing a restoration on a 19th Century or older piano - just =
don't expect it to sound like new, that's all.

Actually, a dream I have is someday, when I amass at least 873 kajillion =
tons more knowledge about what makes pianos work, is to design a piano =
that combines some of the best aspects of the pre-modern piano (maybe =
something with many characteristics from the early 19th Century) - but =
it would be a new piano, incorporating modern materials, and any design =
innovations that have evolved since that time that seem appropriate =
(like perhaps it would even have a full metal plate, but likely the =
string tension would be similar to what it might have been back then). =
The purpose would be to produce a piano that might have many of =
acoustical properties of the pre-power-power-power pianos, but might =
incorporate modern bridge-making techniques that would help reduce false =
beats, or produce a more singing treble.

Whatever, just wild thoughts I am sometimes plagued with.

I am also glad there are those out there that are immersed in =
restoration of old pianos. I'm not terribly interested in doing that =
myself, but I'm sure glad others are preserving some of those beauties.