Restoration (was Re: Historical Pianos)

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:14:14 -0700 (GMT)

>I'll assume by "at odds with some on this list" referrs to those that
>replace parts and perhaps make some modifications?

Yes, it refers to those that perhaps make some modifications or perhaps
feel that previous designs are inadequate or obsolete.  There have been many
discussions on the list since I've been a subscriber about what constitutes
restoration or rebuilding, how much modification results in a piano that
is markedly different from the original maker's intent, what's ethical and
what's not, what's appropriate and what's not, etc.  This fellow is offering
his view, which I found interesting, and which I thought might be
interesting to others that participate in these discussions, whether they agree
with him or not.  I admire him for having a set of values which he can
elucidate which guide his work.

>I read his statement and did not find anything at odds there. He is
trying
>to restore pianos. Folks who replace and or redesign pianos are not
trying
>to restore an instrument, they are creating a new one from an old
carcass.

Yes, I see that.  I must have a different interpretation of what he has to
say.  My interpretation was that, for him, working on a piano means
restoration.  Redesigning and remanufacturing are not options because they are
inappropriate.  In my opinion that puts him at odds with those that are
'creating a new one from an old carcass'.

>  IMHO there is quite a difference between restoring a piano and
> rebuilding or remanufacturing a piano.

Yes, I agree.

>If you are trying to know/experience/whatever the piano as it was
>originally created - restore it. If you have an idea of what a
performance
>piano should be and can't find one at your local dealer, then
>remanufacture one.
>
>Terry Farrell

And what is your idea of what a performance piano should be and how did
you arrive at that idea?

Phil Ford