Historical Pianos/Phil

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 14:54:15 -0700 (GMT)

>Phil,
>You posted: "I also found his views on restoration, (Should be
>"Restoration"), interesting.

Why the caps?  Am I not showing the proper respect for what we do?

>  At odds with some on this list."
>Hmm? I don't believe there are many on this list that do Restoration.
Most
>on this list are either/or into Rebuilding or Remanufacturing.

I think you're right, at least among the ones that usually speak up.

>"Restoration", I do, but seldom, as it is very nit-picky work and Damned
>expensive! (I'm not a cheap date, in this regard!<G>) I thoroughly agree
>with his assessment of what constitutes a real "Restoration", if the said
>"Restoration" includes making it play/sound/look, like we can only
suppose
>it did, when it was new.
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Yes, we can only suppose.  But I'm glad that there are those out there that are attempting to preserve the character of these instruments as they were, even if they fall wide of the mark, so that we have a wide variety of piano sounds out there in the world.

Phil F